Science graduate faqs

What types of roles do you offer graduates?

We recruit in different areas each year depending on the organisational need of the department and government policy at that time. Past graduates have held the following roles:

  • Fire Management Project Officer
  • Native Vegetation Management Officer
  • Project Officer Climate Risk
  • Natural Resource Management Research and Development Project Officer
  • Public Land Officer
  • Animal Health Officer
  • Environmental Scientist
  • Sustainable Landscapes Project Officer
  • Water Policy Officer

What types of projects do graduates work on?

Past graduates have worked the following projects:

  • community capacity building
  • salinity, biodiversity and land use planning
  • business, innovations and communications
  • fire management
  • landcare and community engagement
  • pest plants and animals policy
  • regional compliance work
  • pest management and research
  • natural resource planning
  • native vegetation

How am I supported during the program?

At your formal induction in February, you will meet and get to know other graduates and to start working with supervisors to plan your individual work plan and program outcomes.

Each graduate has a coordinating supervisor and a location supervisor, who support and oversee your ongoing development throughout the program. Graduates also receive a 'Buddy' to help them – usually a second year graduate who is working in a similar field.

What types of training are available?

In addition to project and field work, graduates are encouraged to take courses in public speaking, policy development, project evaluation, group leadership and facilitation, and community engagement.

Science and Planning Graduates also receive a substantial learning and development budget for their use.

Where are graduates based during the program?

As a graduate you may have a number of moves to different departmental locations over your two year program. These locations will generally be regionally based within Victoria and may include one metropolitan role, although this depends on your position.

We choose locations that will provide the best opportunities for you to learn, but wherever you go you'll be learning from experts in your field.

Are TAFE certificates acceptable?

No, positions offered by the Graduate Program require a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in the field specified in the position description.

Can I complete my degree and work for the Graduate Program?

You must have completed your undergraduate degree prior to the commencement date of the Graduate Program.

Do I need an Australian qualification?

No. If your degree is from an international university, it should be certified to meet the Australian equivalent prior to submitting your application.

Overseas qualifications from countries other than Australia or New Zealand need to be assessed for equivalence by DET (Australian Government's Department of Education and Training). The certificate of equivalence (or evidence of undertaking the process) must be provided with your application. For more information visit  International Education - Qualifications Recognition.

Do I need to be an Australian citizen?

You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or a citizen of New Zealand. The graduate program will not sponsor applicants for immigration to Australia.

I'm a mature age uni graduate, what are the prerequisites of applying?

Applications will be considered provided you have a completed undergraduate degree within the last 5 years, and your Tertiary qualification (Degree or Masters) must be related to a Science or Planning field.

What happens after the two years?

Science and Planning Graduates will have an ongoing role with the department upon signing their letter of offer.

Graduates are highly sought for their skills, networks and ability to meet challenges. Toward the end of your two year program your coordinator and the graduate program management team will meet with you to discuss opportunities after the program.

You are encouraged to apply for advertised positions with us and may be eligible for positions of greater responsibility and challenge.

What happens to information in my application?

The department affirms that the collection and handling of applications and personal information will be consistent with the requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.

Page last updated: 4 October 2021