More jobs added to the Victorian Sick Pay Guarantee
Published: 28 August 2023
The Victorian Sick Pay Guarantee has significantly expanded with over 400 jobs added to the pilot program. This means thousands more people in casual and contract jobs can now access up to 38 hours a year of sick and carer’s pay.
Eligible workers will also benefit from an extra year of support as the pilot has been extended until 13 March 2025.
The Sick Pay Guarantee now covers eligible workers in the following jobs:
- Food, hospitality and accommodation
- Retail and sales
- Supermarkets and supermarket supply chains
- Factories, manufacturing and warehousing
- Administration, clerical and call centres
- Cleaning and laundry
- Beauty, fitness and personal services
- Taxi, rideshare and delivery driving
- Carers, aides and social assistance
- Health and welfare support
- Farm, agriculture and animal care
- Forestry, horticulture and gardening
- Tourism and outdoor recreation
- Arts and creative industries
Visit the Sick Pay Guarantee website to see the full list of eligible jobs.
The Sick Pay Guarantee is a 3-year pilot. It provides sick and carer’s pay to casual and contract workers in certain jobs who are not able to work because they are ill, injured or caring for someone, and don’t have access to paid leave entitlements.
Eligible workers who sign up can access up to 38 hours a year of sick and carer’s pay. Payments are made at the national minimum wage ($23.23 per hour as at 1 July 2023). The program is an Australian-first, fully funded by the Victorian Government.
Casual, contract and self-employed workers who do not have access to any paid leave entitlements are encouraged to check eligibility and sign up now. Don’t wait until you’re sick.
Employers can support workers by encouraging them to sign up to the Sick Pay Guarantee today so they can access sick and carer’s pay the next time they need it. Workers who stay home when they’re sick or injured can recover quicker and return to work sooner.
Check your eligibility and sign up today on the Service Victoria app or at: Victorian Sick Pay Guarantee.