The department supports the minerals, quarry and gas sectors to create jobs and attract investment to our regions. This includes the CarbonNet project and their work to establish a commercial scale Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) network in Gippsland.
Our role includes:
- regulating the sector and managing access to the earth resources of Victoria.
- supporting Victoria's quarry sector so the state has enough building materials for our infrastructure boom.
- understanding Victoria’s geology through regional geoscientific investigations to enable the informed and responsible management of State-owned resources.
- overseeing the restart of the onshore conventional gas industry.
- facilitating the development of low-emission resources.
Strategies and initiatives
Extractive Resources Strategy
The state's first Extractive Resources Strategy will help Victoria grow.
Minerals Resources Strategy
State of Discovery, the Mineral Resources Strategy 2018–2023, is focused on helping grow investment and jobs in Victoria's minerals sector.
The Latrobe Valley Regional Rehabilitation Strategy
The Latrobe Valley Regional Rehabilitation Strategy provides a blueprint to progress mine rehabilitation planning and activities and achieves a safe, stable and sustainable landscape.
The CarbonNet Project
The CarbonNet Project is investigating the potential for establishing a world-class, large-scale carbon capture and storage network.
Onshore Conventional Gas Restart
The open and orderly restart of Victoria’s onshore conventional gas industry is on track.
North Central Victorian Goldfields Ground Release
Victoria has re-emerged internationally as a prime minerals exploration destination, particularly for gold. The North Central Victorian Goldfields Ground Release is evaluating tender responses for minerals exploration rights to the north and east of Bendigo.
Divisional owners and entities
The Resources branch plays a key role
- regulating the resources industry to
effectively manage risks to the environment and community
- attracting and facilitating investment in
coal, gas, and mineral resources
- managing access to earth resources for current
and future use
- supporting investment in technological development
To help us do our work we partner with a range of
other government agencies and industry organisations.
Agreements with these organisations aid the
regulation of our resources sector in line with community and industry