Regulatory impact statements
The Retail Leases Regulations 2023 (the Regulations) will come into effect on 15 April 2023 and repeal the Retail Leases Regulations 2013.
The Regulations will be made under section 99 of the Retail Leases Act 2003. The Regulations will largely replicate the Retail Leases Regulations 2013 with only minor technical changes being made.
- make provision with respect to the amount of occupancy costs for the purpose of excluding certain retail premises;
- make provision with respect to the amount of outgoings payable by a tenant;
- prescribe the form of the landlord’s disclosure statement;
- prescribe other matters required by the Act to be prescribed.
A Notice of Decision is provided below and has been published in the Government Gazette and on Victorian Public Notices. A Statement of Reasons is also available below. These documents set out the reasons for the direction taken in the final Regulations and address any general issues raised in the submissions.
- Notice of Decision Notice-of-Decision-WORD-VERSION.docx (DOCX 36.27 KB)
- Statement of Reasons Statement-of-reasons.docx (DOCX 37.73 KB)
A consultation period, from 14 February 2023 to 14 March 2023 has been conducted. Stakeholders and the general public were encouraged to provide comments on the proposed regulations and regulatory impact statement.
The Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions (the Department) received one written submission.
Following the close of the public consultation period, the written submission was reviewed by the Department and considered by the Minister for Small Business. Feedback that was outside the scope of this review has been recorded for future consideration by the Department.
Written submissions made during the public consultation period have been published, along with the Department's Statement of Reasons. Any confidential material within the submission has been redacted.
Page last updated: 4 April 2023